Tomatoes are a great veggie for kids to grow, as they don’t require much space and can be grown out in a tiny garden or balcony, as long as there’s plenty of sunlight.
They’ll take a couple of months to grow, but once they’re ready, they produce plenty to pick for snacks, salads and sauces!
What you need:
- A large pot or two
- Bamboo canes
- Compost from your local garden store or supermarket
- A tomato plant seedling (or seeds)
What to do:
- Put the compost in your pot.
- Dig a really deep hole in the pot using a stick or shovel.
- Pop your tomato plant seedling in the hole and fill with more compost.
- Stick a bamboo cane in the soil next to the plant so it has support as it grows. When it gets taller you can tie it gently to the cane with string.
- Water it well and often, tomatoes love moisture and sunlight.
After about eight weeks you’ll be able to pick your juicy tomatoes. Enjoy!