This trap takes just minutes to assemble. And its designed so that after your kids have held them, the insects can be released back into the wild.
What you need:
- A garden shovel
- An empty sardine or condensed milk can with one end removed and filed down to remove sharp edges
- Four stones or marbles
- A tile or slate
What to do:
- Dig a small hole the size of the empty tin so it fits snugly inside without gaps around the edge and is level with the soil around it.
- Then place the four small stones or marbles on the soil surface, outside the tin, an inch or two away from the edge.
- Put the tile or slate on top of the stones to protect the catcher from rainfall, and this will create a damp shady area, perfect for attracting bugs out on a midnight stroll.
- After leaving for 24 hours, you should return to find just some of the creatures that visited your garden during the night.
- Note down your bugs and check again several times over a week to see how many your kids have collected before setting their new little friends free!