Try this recipe with your children. Make sure they’re well covered – you can buy children’s aprons (as well as small mixing bowls, spoons and moulds) from many baking suppliers.
What you need:
- 160g (5.5 oz) butter or margarine
- 1 egg
- 25g (1 oz) cocoa powder
- 225g (8 oz) self-raising flour
- 175g (6 oz) granulated sugar
What to do:
- Pre heat oven to 160C.
- Melt the butter, add the sugar, and mix well.
- Add the flour and cocoa, and mix well until you have a stiff consistency.
- Beat the egg and gently add into the flour mixture.
- Put the mixture into a greased 30cm x 18cm (12"x7") baking tray, gently press at the corners and flatten into the tin.
- Sprinkle with a little water and place in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with sugar.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes then cut into pieces. Place on a wire tray.
You can either eat it as it is – or make some pink custard to go with it!